List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal to change the way threading settings work
From:       "Carsten Burghardt" <cb () magic-shop ! de>
Date:       2003-08-11 7:08:32

Don Sanders sagte:
> On Friday 08 August 2003 17:23, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
>> Ingo Klöcker sagte:
>> > With threading this is probably slightly different because not
>> > many people would want to turn on threading only for a minority
>> > of their folders. Most people will more likely either not use
>> > threading at all or use if for the majority of their folders.
>> >
>> > So at least for the HTML setting the current solution is IMO
>> > preferable. And for threading I also tend to keep the current
>> > solution.
>>
>> At least it doesn't make sense to have different kind of behaviours
>> for different switches. Perhaps it would be good if folders inherit
>> such changes from their parents?
>
> I think with the tri-state option it might make sense for a folder in
> the default state to inherit the threading/html state of its parent,
> and for the global option to change the root node state only.
>
> I mean if tri-state means, on/off/default there's a choice as to what
> default means. It could mean use the global option or it could mean
> use the parent state.
>
> But maybe it makes sense for the implementor to take the most natural
> approach and the reconsider this option at a later date, Carsten does
> that sound ok?

Of course.

BTW: if I can remember correctly we even have an open wish that folders
should inherit such things. Perhaps it's better to implement an
independant switch "inherit settings from parent" that applies to all
settings that make sense. That way you don't have to reinvent the wheel
for every option.

--
Carsten Burghardt
PGP: http://www.magic-shop.de/Carsten_Burghardt.asc