List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal to change the way threading settings work
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2003-08-08 13:09:49

Am Freitag, 8. August 2003 15:08 schrieb Don Sanders:
> On Friday 08 August 2003 16:11, Andreas Gungl wrote:

> > > Especially for the html setting this doesn't make sense. Only for
> > > very few of my 100+ folders I have HTML rendering enabled. With
> > > your proposal I would have to turn HTML globally on and then turn
> > > if off for each and every folder (except for the few were I
> > > really want it).
>
> I'm in the same situation as Ingo here not just HTML but for threading
> as well.
>
> > Okay, here is a quick idea I didn't think about too much yet - it
> > just came into my mind. What about having a tristate for the
> > folder's options: - default (i.e. the gloabl setting)
> > - off (locally overwritten no matter what is set globally)
> > - on (locally overwritten no matter what is set globally)
> >
> > It allows both scenarios described by Ingo and it's (IMHO) pretty
> > clear for the user. I just don't know whether it's conform to the
> > guidelines.
>
> Yes, I think tri-state would be ideal, but two state has the advantage
> of being able to be implemented via a checkable menu item. How would
> tri-state be implemented?
>
> Don.

IMO this doesn't need to be in the menu. What about comboboxes in the folder
properties? The switch frequency should not be that high, that a menu item
is needed, and for HTML there is also the link in the preview pane where
one can temporarily switch it on (doesn't work for alternate msg parts
however).
OTOH there might be a folder toolbar containing those boxes (like the one
when using OpenPGP and S/MIME plugin). Then one could switch easily for the
current folder.

Andreas