List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Proposal to change the way threading settings work
From:       Till Adam <till () adam-lilienthal ! de>
Date:       2003-08-07 21:53:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Folks,

while entertaining myself with breaking threading I noticed that the way the
threading (and html) options are handled really is rather confusing if not
plain wrong. What we curently have is a global threading, saved in

[Geometry]
nestedMessages

Per Folder, there is an additional setting which is an _override_ of the
gloabl setting. That means that kmheaders.cpp does:

bool threaded = mNested != mNestedOverride

to figure out if the headers are threaded. Now, that means you actually have
to turn the per folder option _off_, if the global option is on, to get
threaded behaviour. Same for html. The gui tries to work around that and
partially fails, resulting in much fun with out of sync .sorted files (which
store the threading status also) and the infamous "threading actions out of
sync" bugs.

Now, I'd like to propose to change this to work as follows:
- the global option turns threading globally on or off
- if it is globally off, there are not threading options in the folder menus
- it if is globally on, you can disable it on a per folder basis and
  additionally disable subject threading for this folder
- bool threaded = mThreaded && mFolderThreaded

Same for html. That would simplify things and get rid of some bugs as well.

Additionally I would propose to move the global threading option out of
geometry and into behaviour. Maybe it makes transition easier to just
introduce new options and have upgrade scripts.

Makes sense?

Till