List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: CIA proposal
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-27 22:41:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 25 July 2003 09:50, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> On Friday 25 July 2003 08:30, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Ok, but what about the case of another (non-KMail) mail client
> > moving mail from new/ to cur/ while KMail is not running. It
> > seems to me that in this case the KMail index for that folder
> > will be out of sync with the cur/ directory. And hence currently
> > in the KMail code the index would be completely recreated,
> > losing status information and causing new sernums for all
> > messages in that folder to be assigned, hence invalidating all
> > search folders.
> >
> > Wouldn't traditional integration with other maildir clients
> > require being able to handle this situation without these
> > detrimental affects?
>
> I am not sure if my idea if bright or dumb, but: Could the way
> how an index is regenerated be modified to allow either complete
> re-creation (loosing all status infos) or careful rebuilding
> while trying to preserve status information?
>
> This would mean: KMail detects that the index has to be build
> because mails were moved or deleted... and it does this by
> checking every mail and its index entry: if both are there,
> the flags could be moved into the new index file's entry.

The difficult part is that we need to be able to determine whether an
entry in the old index is valid or whether it has been corrupted. For
this each index entry would have to get a checksum (Marc's proposal for
a new index format which he committed to kmail/DESIGN contains a CRC
for each entry). Apart from this your idea is exactly what I have
already in mind since a long time. I just lacked the time to take a
closer look at this let alone to write appropriate code.

Regards,
Ingo