List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: CIA proposal (was: ClientInterface)
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2003-07-23 6:17:51

Am Dienstag, 22. Juli 2003 13:49 schrieb Marc Mutz:
> The only thing that smells in any way like p2p here is the broadcast
> before compactification. But compactification is a noop for maildirs
> and only the (relatively small) index files are affected and only if
> there were many deletes recently. So I'd be cool with leaving index
> file compactification as something that is performed only in
> single-instance mode.

That's what I reflected to.

> And if that is not acceptable and the list that dcopserver maintains is
> not sufficient for KMail, then one can still roll it's own instance
> registry by adding a ~/Mail/.instances{,.lock} that lists hostname and
> PID of each instance.

DCOP does work only on a single machine. It doesn't help on NFS mounted
devices when mounted into different machines.

But I think, we don't need to discuss this further. Don gave a really good
comment on your proposal. And besides the DCOP idea I like it too. Would be
fine to run multiple KMail instances on my machine at work or even be able
to use mutt besides an active KMail while being remote on small bandwidth.

In general I think KMail has some very good programmers with really good
ideas. I wish all the ideas could be bundled to get synergies in the
development. And I wish there would be more time to refactor KMail's
internals (Kernel/GUI, Bo's Folder:: changes, as I understand your CIA,
...). As often, a release needs new features, and as I wrote I'm myself
waiting for improvements in IMAP and for Kolab. I'm only wondering how long
new features can get pressed in KMail while important refactoring tasks
remain open.
Well, this is all theoretical. I better continue to work on my GUI
separation tasks tonight. ;-)

Andreas