List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: CIA proposal (was: ClientInterface)
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-21 17:40:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 21 July 2003 13:44, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. Juli 2003 13:31 schrieb Marc Mutz:
> > CIA/4 can be extended with a DCOP broadcast call to all KMail
> > instances to close F, so that A can perform (index file) compaction
> > after all instances replied with a "folder F closed" message.
>
> How will you know all instances?

dcopserver knows them all. The client/server concept has to solve the
same thing, BTW.

> Sending a broadcast is okay, but
> collecting the responses would mean to have all instances registered
> somewhere.

dcopserver. The client/server concept has to... you know the rest ;-)

> What about the situation where a registered application dies?

dcopserver? If not, then the user gets prompted b/c of the timeout.
Either she will know the cause already ("of course, my korg crashed!"),
or can do something about it. The client/server .. you know.

> Wait for a certain amount of time?

Yes.

> How will you know, that it really died?

It doesn't respond anymore?

> E.g. a long search operation could be running.
<snip>

Why should that stop the process from responding? Even now, I can type
this email while performing a search and I think we agree that making
all Kmail operations non-UI-blocking is a good thing to have in itself.

You know, I can't understand why those points should be arguments
against CIA/4, while at the same time you propose a much more complex
protocol where almost every method call can timeout due to the DCOP
peer dying or performing an expensive, blocking task?

If these are your only concerns, then, hurray, we have a compromise
solution!

Marc

--
Nie wird so viel gelogen wie vor der Wahl, während des Kriegs und nach
der Jagd                                          -- Otto von Bismarck