List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Reduce MIME tree viewer layout options
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-19 12:30:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 19 July 2003 11:05, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know I was one of the people who wanted the MTV below the folder
> list and all, but after looking through the code, I don't think it's
> worth the added complexity, esp. with making it work in the separate
> reader.
>
> Will anyone oppose making the MTV a child of the reader window and
> letting the user choose between having it on top of the reader or at
> the bottom?

No.

BTW, while we are talking about the MTV. I'm using smart MTV and
whenever I exist KMail while a message which doesn't require the MTV is
visible then the MTV has height 0 on the next start. This is due to a
changed behavior of QSplitter::sizes() which now seems to return 0 for
hidden widgets. I'm still using Qt 3.2 beta1. I wonder whether anyone
else is seeing this.

> The four resulting layouts can then be described by choosing between
> the alternatives
>   Long Folder List vs. Wide Reader Pane
> and
>   MTV at top vs. MTV at bottom of reader pane
> where later on the latter might at the same time affect the placement
> of the attachement viewer in the composer.

Actually, I don't like the current solution to select some fixed
layouts. Some people don't want the "preview" pane for some reason.
Other people don't want the folder list (they want a folder drop down
list in the toolbar instead). So the fixed layouts are not really a
good solution.

The best solution for this I could come up with so far was to add a
widget where the user can create his own layout by splitting the view
horizontally/vertically and by adding the different views (similar to
the Split View stuff in Konqueror). Doing this directly in the main
window would probably be even nicer.

Regards,
Ingo