On Friday 30 May 2003 08:40, you wrote: > First of all: This mailing-list is no support forum, it's a development > forum. If you have questions about the usage of KMail then please send > your questions to one of the KDE user lists (kde@kde.org or, if you > think your question is Linux specific, kde-linux@kde.org). If you want > to report a bug then do this via bugs.kde.org as everyone else. Thanks > in advance for following my suggestions the next time. Ingo, Thank you for replying anyway, I realised this once the bug reports started coming in. I apologise and won't do it again past this thread. > On Thursday 29 May 2003 04:44, William Denniss wrote: > > I have been using KMail since Red Hat 7, and I have had no problems > > until I upgraded to KMail 1.4.3 (Using KDE 3.0.3-8.3 Red Hat). I > > don't know why, but the charcaters "=20" are appended to almost every > > line in the emails I sent. > > That's due to the so-called quoted-printable encoding (=20 stands for a > space). No decent email client will have problems with this. I guessed this was the case, pity not everyone uses KMail. From what was said to me, outlook was having no problems displaying the messages, just replying to them with the > characters. It's a pain in the arse, but several people I know do use Outlook. > > > These don't show up in KMail, nor Outlook for people I email but they > > do have a few problems: Some mailling list programs don't remove the > > characters and my emails get resent with those characters visible. > > Those mailing list programs are broken. The list administrators might > want to update to a newer version of the mailing list programs. If no > newer version exists then they should report this bug to the developers > of the mailing list programs. Every mailing list program should know > how to deal with quoted-printable. fair enough, they are old versions I believe > > Likewise for the archives of many mailing lists. > > Well, the programs those archives use are obviously also too dumb if > they can't correctly handle quoted-printable encoding. > > > And people who I > > know that use Outlook when they click reply to my email, they can't > > insert the >'s that they usually could (ie. before I upgraded my > > kmail version). > > I don't understand what the problem is. Why can't they insert the >'s? they are lazy - if outlook doesn't do it for them they give up. > > Does anyone know of a simple fix for this problem? Should I just try > > and downgrade KMail? (I'd prefer not to have to do that). > > If quoted-printable encoding is a problem for you then change the > Message property setting (in the configuration dialog in > Network->Sending) to "Allow 8-bit". Ok, I'll try this work around until outlook gets it's act together. Again, thanks Ingo for your assistance. Regards, Will. -- William Denniss - will@: http://www.omegadelta.net _______________________________________________ KMail Developers mailing list kmail@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmail