List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KSSL based S/MIME plugin available
From:       Bernhard Reiter <bernhard () intevation ! de>
Date:       2003-05-15 12:34:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 09 May 2003 11:05, Stefan Rompf wrote:
> I've committed my KSSL based S/MIME crypto plugin to kdenonbeta/kssl-smime.
> The README is attached to this mail.

Just reading the README it is openssl based and links to it.
This would mean there is licensing problem.

AFAIK openssl's license is not compatible with the GNU GPL.
KMail is under GNU GPL thus cannot be linked together.
Wether this is done by a loadable module or not does not make
a huge difference in tjhis case.

If someone distributes a binary with that module and openssl that person will
most likely violate KMail's license and which would subsequently permanently
(until the license holder of KMail explicitely forgive that) loose the right
to use KMail.

This is the one of the reasons why the Ägypten project wrote
its own S/MIME implementation.

> Everybody who uses a recent KDE from CVS and S/MIME might be interested.

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]