List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] Improved threading (by references and subject)
From:       Till Adam <till () adam-lilienthal ! de>
Date:       2003-03-04 19:21:44

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 19:51, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 March 2003 05:35, Don Sanders wrote:

> > Essentially forcing prefix free messages to be top level fixes this
> > and the problem with newbies replying instead of creating new
> > messages.
>
> Yeah, I also came to this conclusion after reconsidering the problem. I
> no longer think that we need another configuration option. Instead
> messages without subject prefix should always be considered as top
> level messages. AFAICS this will require storing a boolean value in the
> index files which indicates whether the subject had any prefixes or
> not.

There is two options, I think:

1. only force unprefixed messages to top level if they would be threaded by
subject, which means they have no In-Reply-To Header, or they have one and
the mail it points to isn't in this folder etc etc
(the old behaveour + ReplyToAuxId - threading by subject)

2. always force unprefixed messages to top level. This "fixes" the case of a
newbie replying to a thread instead of making a new thread, but will "break"
intentional changes in subject while the thread continues.

I am not sure which is better.

Till