List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] Improved threading (by references and subject)
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-04 4:35:44

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 07:05, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2003 21:50, Till Adam wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I'm pretty sure that I will hate it.

The problem is that all the commits for an application are put into a
single thread. A bit like turning on threading and sorting by
subject.

Forcing all messages without subject prefixes to be top level would
fix this problem (at least to my satisfaction), so I'm thinking it
makes sense to have this as an option also.

Essentially forcing prefix free messages to be top level fixes this
and the problem with newbies replying instead of creating new
messages.

> > > Therefore it must be
> > > possible to turn off threading by subject per folder. One can
> > > already turn on/off threading per folder. But I don't want to
> > > turn threading completely off for my kde-cvs folder because
> > > then it will be very hard to find the message a reply
> > > corresponds to (I would have to look for it by the date/time).
> > > We should probably have 3 choices for threading:
> > > Folder->Threading->None
> > > Folder->Threading->Normal
> > > Folder->Threading->Advanced
> > > where normal threading includes threading by replyToAuxIdStr
> > > and advanced threading additionally provides threading by
> > > subject.
> >
> > Ok. I agree in principal. As for the interface, an additional
> > entry in the Folder menu, also a checkbox?
>
> I was thinking of something like for the Headers and Attachments in
> the View menu.
>
> > How about "Thread messages" and
> > below that, activated if the former is checked, "Also thread by
> > subject" ?
>
> That's also okay for me.
>
> > The latter should be on by default, in my opinion.
>
> I agree.
>
> > I think
> > "Advanced" is a bit vague. Unless there is more magic to be added
> > to threading in the future.
>
> You're right.
>
> > Do you want me to add that to the patch (as revised by Don), or
> > will one of you take care of adding the configuration option?
>
> Please do it.
>
> > I don't know
> > how your team operates with regard to changes to the gui, maybe
> > some kind of usability audit has to take place or I have to do
> > the funky chicken counterclockwise thrice  before touching the
> > menu structure.
> >
> > : )
>
> The only important thing to know about changes of the menu
> structure is that you have to increase the version number of the ui
> file.

Don.