List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: adding timestamp to transmission completed statusbar message
From:       "Patrick S. Vogt" <patrick.vogt () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2003-03-02 14:04:17

On Thursday 27 February 2003 00:58, Marc Mutz wrote:
> KMail already has (hardcoded) profiles. You can even create your own,
> but only if you edit text files and put them in the right places.
> They're executed by the configuredialog. You can't do that in case you
> want the profile selector in the toolbar (except if you use a hidden
> config dialog - don't).

Hmmm, guess thats related to the fact that "Configure KMail" has vanished from
my mainwindow menus, since I accidently started KMail HEAD?
Copying the original kmmainwin.rc file did not help.  Any hints?

> Of course, you could roll your own KMail/KMSender-only solution, that
> would probably be easy, but you shouldn't strive for easy solutions,
> but generic ones. The best solution is one that can go to kdelibs.

agreed.  I'll have a look at the profiles....

> A KMSender-only solution has the problem that you have to sell those two
> profile managers to the user (and to the developers). Having SMTP
> profiles alongside KMail profiles isn't something that's desirable, is
> it?

no, for sure not.

> I'm too tired right now to have a look at it. From a very brief glance,
> I like it, b/c it cleans up code. Except for the long parameter list of
> the setStatusMsgTransmissionCompleted() method, but I don't see a way
> to reduce that :-(

Unless we define a struct to hold the parameters only used in
KMAcctExpPop::startJob, this would make it cleaner, but I don't know if I
should like the approach.

<snip>

> ... and to have a KMail menuentry would be a nice prework for this
> > KDE-wide solution.
>
> Adding a menu entry is almost the exact same work than listening to a
> dcop signal...

I've started to implement a offline mode in KMail from the 3_1_branch,
therefore I have added offlineMode and setOfflineMode to KMKernel (I am not
quite sure if this should go into the kernel or into KMAcctMgr...  Any
hints?)

Patrick