On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 02:08:20PM +0100, Ingo Kl?cker wrote: Content-Description: signed data > On Saturday 15 February 2003 20:07, David Bishop wrote: > > On Saturday 15 February 2003 10:14 am, Melchior FRANZ wrote: > > > * Don Sanders -- Saturday 15 February 2003 18:10: > > > > Inspecting the bodies of mails during threading time would > > > > require calling getMsg on those mails and hence be slow. > > > > > > The most efficient (and IMHO acceptable) thing would be to only > > > check for "\bRe:\s" in the subject. Every correctly changed subject > > > has to contain Re:, either at the beginning or in a "(was: Re: old > > > subject)". Otherwise chances are very high that a message doesn't > > > belong to a given thread. A message box that pops up if someone hit > > > reply and has no "Re:" in the subject, would be annoying enough for > > > newbies to learn not to misuse the reply function. ;-). > > > > See attached for a fairly common usage that doesn't fit into that > > pattern. I see this at least once or twice a week. > > I'd like to know whether in this case the reply with the completely > different subject contains any quoted text. If not, then not even my > proposal to look for quoted text would prevent the thread from being > broken. And this would mean that we would treat replies from > experienced users (who deliberately change the subject and don't quote > any text because it's unnecessary as every MUA should thread the > message correctly due to the In-reply-to header) the same way as wrong > replies from newbies. Of course an experienced user should probably > have added a (was: old subject) to his reply. But nevertheless I don't > think we should punish experienced users by breaking their threads just > because some newbies make stupid things. In this case, yes, the reply included quoted text. > Therefore I'm not sure if automatically breaking threads is worth > implementing with regard to all the different cases in which a thread > should resp. should not be broken. Instead I'm very much in favor of a > "Break Thread" action which would simply remove the In-reply-to and the > References headers. I was thinking about this also. Sometimes a reply can consist of a new subject (Found it!) and a body consisting soley of (It was on line 37, sorry about being blind.), but still be part of a bigger thread. I see that every so often too. D.A.Bishop _______________________________________________ KMail Developers mailing list kmail@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmail