List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail as a proper KPart
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-02 7:29:30

On Friday 31 January 2003 15:27, Zack Rusin wrote:
> Ave,
>
> this patch makes KMail behave like a proper app using libkmailpart,
> meaning it doesn't link to it anymore. That's how KParts were meant
> to be used and that's something Danimo reminds me everytime he sees
> me on IRC. So I took a little bit time off today to work on it. And
> what you see is a very early version (meaning, no, it's not ready
> to commit). What's wrong:

Understood.

> 1)  I didn't have time to add statusbar so it's not there (should
> be trivial to add, any takers?)
> 2) dcop registration might be a little bit off,
> 3) actions are merged in some weird way (Help is merged first, but
> I'm not sure if that's a problem related to this patch).

I think there were/are similar problems with Kontact, which makes
sense.

I'm not sure how trivial (1) is, it might require factoring the status
bar progress bar out. For Kontact this widget needs to be factored
out of KMail into a separate library.

(2) is a bit vague.

Regarding (3), the XML GUI merging is, well black magic at times. I
only got it working in Kontact through repeated trial and error. It
may (or may not) help to look at Kontact XML GUI file.

> But besides it works rather nicely. I made MailApp act as a
> KParts::MainWindow but I'm not sure if that's the way we want to
> go, I wanted to get some thoughts especially about that. So please
> take a look at this and tell me what are your ideas.

I'll address this point in a response to your next mail in this
thread. Or rather I'll try to pass it onto to David.

Don.