List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrated subset of make_it_cool
From:       Alexander Kellett <lypanov () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-31 10:35:47

Hiya Carsten,

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 06:38:00AM +0100, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> > Now I am quite happy to engage in this activity myself if it is
> > productive. But KMail's development had staganated and my changes
> > have been and are being obstructed for political rather than
> > technical reasons.
>
> That is not correct and you should know that.

which part?, the fact that kmail's development _had_ staganated
or the fact that the kmail mailing list has probably contained
more political posts than ones with technical content in the
last few months?

> But this is not the way it works. The features your're implementing are for
> the users, that is correct. But why do you think that your code is perfect
> and without bugs that could be found by reviewing?

personally i don't see any problem with commiting early. the main
problem i see with kmail development is that very useful features
have not gone in even while patches have been available for months.
simply (from my outsider point of view) because the patches couldn't
be "proved perfect". this is completely against the "natural" commit
style of open-source. imo. you should have many eyes watching commits,
not stopping them.

anyway. i think src code should be in a constant state of flux and
problems like stability and correctness should be addressed via regression
tests rather than patch review. anything that improves code quality should
go in by default :)

> Take mozilla as an example. Every single patch has to be approved by the
> maintainer of the particular part and by the maintainer of the (sub)project.
> And mozilla doesn't seem to stagnate.

mozilla is pretty stagnant imho.
its only due to the large amount
of (paid?) developers that it
makes any progress.

but this is all this my opinion of course ;-)

Alex