List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Full text searching
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-28 5:24:59

On Friday 27 December 2002 23:33, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Friday 27 December 2002 03:14, Don Sanders wrote:
> > But they would require users storing their mail in a MySQL
> > database, that's not a reasonable expectation for most users.
>
> As it was discussed before, there's a libmysqld (embedded mysql)
> available so the user wouldn't even notice. But anyway, for several
> reasons I didn't seriously work on this, so it doesn't make sense
> to discuss this again.

Many users would notice if all their mbox and/or maildir files
disappeared and if the existing tools they use on those files (like
vi and emacs) are no longer useful.

I prefer a solution that does not require users to store their mail in
a MySQL database.

It is not the overhead of running a database that I am concerned about
but rather the change in storage format.

Don.