List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Full text searching
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-24 7:40:18

> full-text
> indexing (who the hell needs that? Didn't you yourself say that a
> DB backend would be unnecessary and now you implement a DB inside
> KMail)

Full text indexing is a killer feature. I have about 300 thousand
messages stored locally in KMail and searching them all is very slow.
With the indexer turned on I can search all these messages in real
time, the search dialog results in make_it_cool are even updated in
real time as the user types now.

It's a great feature for anyone who wants to search their mail and
means queries like show me all the mail from (or to) an email address
can be answered practically instantaneous.

I do however want to test this feature more before it is integrated
into HEAD, and their is work to be done with integrating this feature
with IMAP folders.

BTW: This feature has nothing to do with a DB backend for storing
mail.

sanders@kde.org
KMail Cool  Co-founder / kmailcool.org
KMail  Adopter / kmail.kde.org
KDE PIM  Co-founder / kdepim.org
KAddressbook  Founder / kaddressbook.org
KDE  Contributor / kde.org