List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Merging.
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-20 19:49:44

Hi guys,

well, we have a rather serious problem. We need to finish merging,
period. I can't debug head, I'm not even sure how at this point. Here's
the situation: I have four emacs windows open with head, stable 3.1,
make_it_cool and kroupware, when I'm working on HEAD. The reason is
that neither of them is synced to one central place. It's ridicules
because they all crash at different places. Like for example let's try
to fix something trivial, oh, lets say
QObject::connect: No such signal KMReaderWin::showAtmMsg(KMMessage*)
QObject::connect:  (sender name:   'unnamed')
QObject::connect:  (receiver name: 'kmail-mainwindow')
warning when starting HEAD. You'll notice that indeed the slot doesn't
exist anymore, because it's been removed while merging and the
kmmainwidget from make_it_cool hasn't been merged. So in other to fix
that we need to merge the rest of the changes. The same problem applies
to:
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x8209ba8 ):
KAccel object already contains an action name "file_print"
warnings.
There's a whole bunch of other more subtle things that need to be merged
and they are the real problem, because they are hard to spot. I'm going
for two days to my friend to nyc, I'll be back on Sunday. What I'd
strongly propose is to merge everything into HEAD. Freaking dump the
damn branches. And no, we can't break HEAD because it's broken already.
It's broken so badly that we can't break it any more. You know that
debugging is almost impossible because of the unmerged differences
between branches so I don't know what are we waiting for.
So here's what I'd like to propose:
1) people who are strongly against one of the changes from make_it_cool,
speak up now, tell me exactly what you don't like,
2) we'll generate a direct diff between make_it_cool and head, apply the
diff to head, close make_it_cool for ALL commits.
Stephan do you have a diff between the two handy? (without the changes
to any of the folderjobs :) ).
Comments?

Zack

--