List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: make_it_cool -> HEAD?
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2002-12-02 10:20:08

On Sunday 01 December 2002 16:59, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > > Done.
> > >
> > > Now I'll go hide :-)
> >
> > 4 remaining chunks. I guess they arise because of Zack's IMAP
> > cleanup. The rest of your changes I commited to make_it_cool
> > branch so you can check out that branch and port the remaining
> > chunks. OK?
>
> To get a working kmail I applied the following patch to make_it_cool
> (but haven't yet commited). But as monday comes closer I would
> commit the patch. So to get cached imap working you need to do
> some more work I'm afraid ;(

I think this looks fine. It's too much monday for me to read the reverse
diff in KMFolderDir::reload, but it does look ok.

Actually I wanted to discuss the reload stuff here, since I really don't
like it. In a given folder you have to figure out if it's mbox or
maildir. So far so good. But (pre kroupware) if something was in
.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap... it was an IMAP folder and that was always
mbox. Now it can also be a disconnected imap folder which is maildir.

I would like to change this to the following scheme:

1) Figure out if this is an mbox or maildir.
2) If it's in ~/Mail, it's local; ...apps/kmail/imap -> imap;
   apps/kmail/d_imap -> disconnected imap.

This way should be less fragile than the current scheme. It also prepares
for the time when storage and account are separated completely (*).

Objections?

(*): At some point in time I want to move all IMAP code into the relevant
accounts instead of in kmfolder(cached)imap.*. This has several big
advantages:

- You are free to choose mbox or maildir for storage
- If someone writes a database storage engine, this would be accessible
- account code is conceptually in the wrong place in kmfolder*
- less code duplication
- even easier detection for the above scheme
- easier for kmcommand to work with

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark