Am Donnerstag, 24. Oktober 2002 08:46 schrieb Ed White: > Hi, > > I got this idea: > automagically use the MX SMTP to deliver mail. > > What does it means ? [snip] > We can speedup things and void local SMTP adding the option to connect > _directly_ to the destination SMTP. > > Example: > > From: me@myself.com > To:=09you@yourself.com > > When you click "send", KMail looks for the MX record via DNS for the "T= o" > domain. > MX:=091.2.3.4 > Now the KMail connects to that SMTP and relay your mails using classic > "commands". > > > What about ? ;-) > > =09Ed > > P.S. I read somewhere on the net that there's a Win client that already= do > this, but I couldn't find it. Hi Ed, I see two problems with this approach, the first of which can be solved, = the=20 second cannot: 1) There's a little bit more to direct sending than just look for an MX r= ecord=20 and send to that server. You'd have to check for all MX records, take int= o=20 acount their priority and try them according to this list until you found= a=20 working server. (which basically means duplicating code that already exis= ts=20 in any MTA) 2) This is the real showstopper - many sites use MAPS DUL or similar=20 blacklists to disallow dialup clients to send directly to their mail=20 exchanger in order to reduce SPAM. This is because spammers often send=20 directly from their dialup lines to avoid problems with abusing their ISP= s=20 MTA or having to look for open relays. Once upon a time I had my local sendmail configured to send mail directly= to=20 the recipient's mail exchanger but noticed very soon that this was a bad = idea=20 because many messages were returned because I'm on a line listed in DUL. = I've=20 been using my ISPs MTA as smarthost since. Just my 2e-2=E2=82=AC -Malte PS: there's another reason to use a local *) MTA: it's usually faster to = pump=20 a message to a host on your LAN or to your ISP than to some MX on the oth= er=20 side of the globe. *) either really local or at your ISP's _______________________________________________ KMail Developers mailing list kmail@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmail