List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Displaying large message takes loooong
From:       Michael Brade <brade () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-15 12:32:19

On Monday 14 October 2002 14:00, Don Sanders wrote:
> I also get the impression that the slowness here is possibly due to a
> text or html attachment being shown inline, is this the case?
Just to let you know, this is not the case. I can reproduce the problem with
*every* mail that has a base64 attachment bigger than 1 MB (well, it is slow
with 500kb as well but not *that* slow). A mail with 15 MB takes at least 15
minutes on my PII400. However, I don't know the exact value as I killed KMail
then...

What about just looking at the type of attachment without parsing it? Then, if
it is text or html, show it, otherwise skip it. If you don't save it to disk,
then this should be possible, no?

This is really a big problem for my University, I'm responsible for the KDE
installation and it is the reason people don't want me to install KMail as
default mailer :-(

--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience