List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Merging.
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-24 5:56:08

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 11:17, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Monday 23 September 2002 07:10, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > Sounds great. Today I ported Stephan and Carsten fixes from HEAD.
> > Ingo's fixes are left, maybe you could tackle those?
>
> will do...

Aaron after you have done the next lot of integrations from HEAD to
make_it_cool I would like to take a turn.

I'm not too sure about diffing individual files like
cvs diff -r 1.105 -r 1.106 > cb.diff

I hope that I can generate diffs for all files in one go by using cvs
diff like

cvs diff -dubp -D "yesterday" -r HEAD > ~/tmp/test.diff

or replace yesterday with "2 days ago etc". This has to be done from a
cvs checkout of the plain kdenetwork directory (that is HEAD branch
only). (Really we probably don't have to integrate that often but I
guess it's good to get into a habit)

I definitely prefer to create unified diffs (-u) I find they apply
much more easily especially if I use patch with the -l option.

I also like to create diffs that show the c(++) function each change
is in (-p). I find it makes the diffs a lot more easy to read.

Personally I like to ignore whitespace only changes too (-b) but this
does mean that formatting can get messed up a bit when the diffs are
applied with patch.

Regarding the changes between HEAD and make_it_cool being _big_ yes
they are. Any diff to kmmainwin probably has to be applied to
kmmainwidget now.

BTW anyone know how to force diff to break up large changes into
multiple small changes? I hate it when patch fails on a 100 line
change due to one character in a comment being changed.

Don.