List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmfolder::properties
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-18 18:55:21

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 00:30, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
<snip>
> what's really nice is that this helps pry apart the tight coupling
> between the tree view, the main widget/window and the folders
> themselves a bit more and exposes the code paths more plainly.
>
> i've got to do some testing and then i will commit to make_it_cool
<snip>

That's nice.

But when you go about redesigning dialogs, keep in mind that .ui files
are not as cool as they look. I have a few problems with thier use, any
one of them is reason enought for me to not use them:

1. You can't use KDialogBase as base and the "make a QWidget and plug it
in" works only for plain dialogs and gets messy with tabbed dialogs or
- horror - tabbed pages plus icon list. Or take the current
ConfigureDialog. Each page or tab is a subclass of ConfigurationPage,
which has methods apply(), setup(), dismiss() etc. You'd have to take
the FooDialogImpl and stuff it into a ConfigurationPage frame. That's
so butt-ugly, I don't want t think about it.

2. You have to hard-code layout spacing and margins and can't use
KDialog::*Hint();

3. Last time I looked, Designed/uic couldn't put dialogs in namespaces.

4. Layout handling is largely non-existant. All boils down to setting
sizePolicy's instead of using stretch factors in layouts, which almost
everyone uses instead.

That means that I'm quite a bit opposed to introducing .ui files in
KMail. Instead I prefer coding them by hand.

Marc

--
The illegal we do immediately.
The unconstitutional takes a bit longer.            -- Henry Kissinger