List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Last attempt at reconciliation
From:       Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan () intevation ! de>
Date:       2002-09-17 13:14:21

Hi,

I just returned from my summer vacation today and found 2.5M mails
of which this one is the latest. I haven't read the previous threads
and will not be able to do so for the next couple of days, but I feel
urged to comment on this:

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 10:34:23PM +1000, Don Sanders wrote:
> I have been thinking some more about my position.
>
> I would like to present Michael the following final offer at a
> compromise:
>
> I be allowed to fork KMail and begin work on KMail2 a mail client
> largely based on KMail but with the intention of making radical
> fundamental changes to the core architecture as I describe in
> my "Stuff I'm working on" mail.
>
> Would that be acceptable?

I don't feel comfortable at all with a fork. The name KMail2 implicates
the role of the successor. Hence if the new version is meant to
introduce comprehensive improvements (it appears to be so), it should
better be a branch than a fork (and never be called a fork!) and reside
in the CVS.

Nonetheless, it would mean quite a lot of work to keep the two
branches in sync. Is there enough man power to cope with this task?

In the case the proposed changes are not agreed to be the future
design of KMail I strongly recommend to discuss further which concept
is the better one (I mean a sound discussion of pro and cons perhaps
listed on a special web page - perhaps it is a good idea to find
an independent person who will moderate the process).

Best

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/