List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: make_it_cool: kdenetwork/kmail
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-16 16:58:33

On Friday 13 September 2002 09:09, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i'm wondering if this is the way to go ...
>
> first off, this type of configurability should be a way to get rid of
> the View->Headers menu, not a way entrench it .... i also wonder how
> user friendly one can make the GUI for this, as the user will need to
> know the names of the headers they want (or don't want). and options
> in the config UI is really not what kmail needs more of...
>
> so i put my head to this one while working on some other items (which
> hopefully don't leave me with an unending hatred for kcontrol ;) and
> put an idea up at:
>
>  http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/kmail_headers/headers_all.html
>
> there you will see a mock-up of a similar-but-different direction. it
> puts the configuration right in the headers display itself (which
> makes sense, since you usually want to configure headers when you are
> looking at them).
>
> this would also basically let all the header types disappear
> completely except for "fancy" and get rid of one more set of
> configuration options and one more sub-menu that the user needs to
> deal with.
>
> thoughts?

I _love_ it. The inline-configurations are so friendly. Of course they
don't/can't work in a lot of places, but not having to go on an
escapade through tens of dialogs to look for some option is fantastic.
And this is one of the places where it would definitely work.

Zack

--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
wrong.