List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: make_it_cool branches created
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-09-10 10:17:49

On Monday September 09, 2002 09:41, Don Sanders wrote:
> I can't give you complete information as I am currently in commercial
> sensitive negotiations to buy a domain name and I don't want those
> negotations compromised.

All I care about are the plans for the code in cvs.  That has to be public,
no?

> Also hmm, I don't know how to describe this but I'm talking to various
> people in personal email, we are discussing things but haven't
> reached conclusions yet, I don't want those discussions to be
> compromised by subjecting them to the brutal and unfair criticism
> that is often generated in the response to any new story.

Well, KMail is being criticized all around one way or the other.

> Hmm, also think of KDE and GNOME both these projects have been subject
> to the kind of brutal and unfair criticism which takes place on
> public websites. I don't want the conflict between myself and other
> parties to be widened by such unnecessary criticism. Do you
> understand this?

I understand, yes.  But KMail is an important app to many people, so I'd
like to help keep everyone informed about its development.  A second
thread of development is big news.

> I want to resolve my social conflicts I don't want flaming comments on
> a website to make that harder.
>
> I'm prepared to give you information in exchange for a promise that
> any story won't be damaging to the reputation of the KMail project
> and its contributors.

My intent is to simply report the facts:  Two sides of developers are going
forward with development as they see fit.  Should you release, users will
get more choices among KDE mail clients than they ever have had.  The GNU
GPL is locked into KMail's codebase, so there will be no real impediments
to one side lifting code from the other.

If my bias comes through in the article (and I'll probably let it), it will
be a positive one.  I think two branches of development are a good thing
for KDE and KMail users.  And besides, I've been using KMail for years.
If I had very much negative to say about it, I'd have switched to another
client long ago. :-)

- --
Neil Stevens - neil@qualityassistant.com