List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Revert of not?
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-10 4:29:57

On Monday 09 September 2002 17:13, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Sunday 08 September 2002 09:58, Don Sanders wrote:
> > I have been unable to resolve the political problems that have
> > been brought to light by my commit.
>
> this affects how soon (and if) i start on a patch for the
> searchwindow, so i'm a minor stakeholder in this little episode;
> which gives me a small voice in things, and here's what i see of
> the situation at this very moment:
>
> marc, carsten and zack have all voiced their opinion that the
> kmcommands patch could/should stay in as work has been done to make
> sure it works properly and everyone agrees that it is necessary at
> some point anyways. the seperate reader window stuff is most
> deffinitely a new feature and has issues (e.g. icons), and
> consensus seems to be that it gets reverted for now and worked on
> for 3.2. but the kmcommands stuff seems to have support and people
> have worked on getting it in shape. others, such as waldo, are also
> in favour of that part staying in according to past emails IIRC.
> and i'll add my tiny voice to that as well.

Is it ok it I don't know voice too strong an opinion an this issue. If
that's what you feel then perhaps you would like to commit the
kmcommands.cpp back in and somehow get the rest of KMail to work with
that. I hope you can understand that I personally have decided that's
not an action that I personally want to make. If some else wants to
do it it's up to them.

> i don't know what the stand of absolutely everyone is at this point
> (such as Michael, though it seems he just wants to work through
> this the same as everyone), but don't you think that it is time for
> everyone to get back to hacking the way KDE people hack? you know,
> forget about the politics and just have fun writing code, while
> respecting everyone else's place in things ...
>
> there was an unfortunate episode, one that hopefully won't be
> repeated any time soon. let's put that all behind us and start
> making good decisions based on consensus and technical merit as a
> group again.

I don't necessarily see the epsiode as unfortunate. Ill feelings
generated and stuff like that is unfortunate. But I believe their is
an opportunity here for me to learn from my mistakes and grow as a
person.

> michael, don, marc, ingo, karl, carsten, zack, *everyone*: you're
> top notch people creating great stuff. don't let the last few days
> get in the way of you remembering that little fact.
>
> *warm happy vibes for everyone*

I bear no ill will towards anyone. Marc and Michael are more than
welcome to commit to make_it_cool. I wish that we could resolve our
social conflicts as easily as cvs conflicts are. Perhaps the use of
an independent and mutually respected arbitrator such as Waldo
Bastian could be useful. Also I would like to get to met everyone
I've conflicted with in person, sit down with them talk through our
differences and resolve them.

Don.