List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kdepim depends on kdenetwork through mimelib
From:       "Mauro DePascale" <mauro.depascale () marconi ! com>
Date:       2002-09-03 6:00:33

I think that many other components of KMail can became shareable with other
apps . . .

For instance, consider just an applet to check for mails, or the ability to
directly send a document as an e-mail into koffice, or the option to
communicate to all the attendees of a meeting a notification mail into
kpim. In all these cases, there's need for configuring and managing mail
accounts and the problem of implementing communication with the
corresponding KIOSlaves, problems already solved (well, the notes part not
yet . . .:-((() and available into KMail.
I think it would be very nice to have a centralized account management (on
a per user basis) shareable with all the other applications, in this way a
user will have to configure its groupware accounts just once.

On the other hand, I already started looking what would be required to
accomplish the task: it's a nightmare (at least for me)! I think that
implementing such centralized management would require a lot of work, in
particular, I see as a very complex task to define a common API to export
account management functionalities, keeping it flexible but also feature
rich.

Larry

PS
Well, It's a long time I've this idea in mind, now that I've exposed it,
feel free to flame me as you like !

Don Sanders <sanders@kde.org>@mail.kde.org on 03/09/2002 03.41.25

Please respond to kmail@mail.kde.org

Sent by:  kmail-admin@mail.kde.org