List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] Re: GUI consistency
From:       Carsten Burghardt <cb () magic-shop ! de>
Date:       2002-09-01 9:45:44

On Sunday 01 September 2002 10:29, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Saturday 31 August 2002 23:08, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > > Exactly because of this it should stay. An action SHOULD NOT (in
> > > the rfc sense) appear only in context menus.
> > >
> > > One might argue that the whole config option in and by itself is
> > > superfluous, though. *ducks* ;-)
> >
> > Then why is "Display message size" not listed in the View menu? It's
> > configurable via the configuration menu.
>
> <snip>
>
> This doesn't conflict with my SHOULD NOT ;-)
> Strictly speaking, I said "action" and "only in context menus". If
> something is config'able from the config dialog, it's no action, but a
> config option and the user is expected to find it in the config dialog.
> Not so with context menus. You can't expect the user to right-click all
> over KMail to find if there are hidden easter eggs.
>
> So the solution is IMO to remove the View entries for unread/total
> column and add them to the config dialog, Appearance->Layout. What do
> you think?

This is not the place where you'll search for it. All other apps (linux and
windows) change these via a View-menu.
BTW: we should add an entry to the handbook that you can switch all these
columns by right-click on the header. This is extremely useful _when you know
it_.

> > BTW, are these columns enabled by default? If not, then we should
> > probably change the default.
>
> <snip>
>
> I think they are. I can check later this day.

They aren't (-1 is deactivated)
config->readNumEntry("UnreadColumn", -1);
config->readNumEntry("TotalColumn", -1);

> > > Patch:
> > >
> > > -  message = i18n( "Cannot move a parent folder into a child
> > > folder." ); +  message = i18n( "Cannot move a folder into a
> > > subfolder below it." ); ? message = i18n("Cannot move \"%1\" to a
> > > subfolder of itself, \"%2\") ?    .arg( <parent> ).arg( <child> )
> >
> > Malcolm suggested this change. Therefore I suggest changing it to
> > "Cannot move folder %1 into a subfolder below itself.".
>
> That message was taken from a
>   mv foo foo/bar
> command ;-)
>
> > Much better would be that only valid parent folders appeared in the
> > folder list in the folder configuration dialog. Then this message
> > would be obsolete.
>
> Or even better: Introduce dnd (I know it's on the 3.2 feature list) and
> make that the only way to move around folders. We already need a smart
> acceptDrag() for that (don't allow moving folders between accounts), so
> Carsten just has to remember this constraint, too.

I don't see a problem to move folders between accounts. You need some time to
move all messages but it's possible. Perhaps a confirmation should popup
first in this case...

--
Regards,

Carsten Burghardt