List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Feature indtroduction request
From:       "Roberto A.Foglietta" <fogliettar () gea-automotive ! com>
Date:       2002-08-28 9:36:21

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:19:56 +0200
Michael Häckel <haeckel@kde.org> wrote:

> > We tried to read both code KMAIl and KTNEF and we recognized that
> > mixing up these two software could be quite easy for people who are
> > used to work on kmail code sources (while it seems enough
> > time-expensive for us).
> >
> > Well, what about?
>
> I really can't see why you want to have this functionality embedded in
> the KMail code. Currently you install KTnef, run KMail and simply left
> click on a Tnef attachment and it is opened in KTnef. Isn't this already
> embedded enough?

 Yeah your right, but IMHO you've missed at least 2 points:

 - install ktnef is not idiot-proof, not just because it's a difficult task but \
because  OutLook users trying linux for the first time don't realize immediatly that \
their illegible mail attach depend on a unsupported (not-embedded) packed format.

 - in addition of this, using ktnef depend on the fact that ktnef will be mainteined \
syncronized with QT lib version, and actually doesn't happen on regulary base.

 If you put ktnef-attach-read code in kmail it'will not need to be update respect QT \
libs (separatly) and outlook-idiot-user will find a transparent/just-ready decoding \
feature. I won't insist on these points, I think it's matter of taste.  It could \
possible include ktnef in the standard KDE distribuition instead of embeding it in \
kmail.  The topic of this e-mail is: 'save whole ktnef or its inner code but don't \
loose/forget this decoding feature'
 Anyway I hope at least to had rised the community attention on ktnef future or if \
you prefer on the existance of ktnef attach format problem.  Actually we just had \
resolved our problem converting old QT2 ktnef in new QT3 ktnef... and for the future \
we are working to change the mail server in pur company so I can't garantee future \
realese/update of this SW.

 Bye,
--
   ||_)   ||\    ||_   /            GEA Automotive S.R.L.             |