List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Stuff
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2002-08-06 6:53:56

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 09:11, Marc Mutz wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 08:58, Don Sanders wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Determining whether a message is already downloaded is obviously
> > the duty of the mail client, I would be surprised if the
> > abstraction between the mail client and message library was
> > broken in KMime, after all it's in libkdenetwork so can't rely on
> > kdenetwork/kmail header files.
>
> I think it's a valid design decision to move as much common code as
> possible into the message library. With that I mean:
> 1. Message fetching and storing.
> 2. Creating replies, forwards, MDNs, ...
> 3. Searching, filtering
> 4. Composing and Reading
>
> This doesn't mean it's going to end up in the message class. But it
> should go into the message lib. Think about all that duplicated
> code in KNode and KMail.
>
> I find this ugly as hell.

I see, moving common functionality into a library makes sense. But
perhaps two libraries are required as the message parsing library
shouldn't depend on or even have its source in the same directory as
this other common code.

Regarding refactoring the core of KMail, I'm not sure what you mean by
core. Maybe you mean mimelib (which I would call a supporting library
rather than the core but possibly that's just a difference of
terminology).

BTW I wonder if you wrote refactor rather than redesign on purpose. I
mean taking refactor to mean the process of changing a software
system in a way that alters the internal structure but not external
behavior, then for mimelib I would interpret this to mean keeping the
mimelib api.

Don.