List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-08-03 9:19:48

On Saturday 03 August 2002 04:51, tech@bishop.dhs.org wrote:
> Set your trash folder for your imap account to a folder on the imap
> server.  Deleting becomes instant, painless, and basically everything
> else that you ask for.  It's in the config dialog for the imap account.

Well, this has one shortfall and is a real pain when you use threading. With
the IMAP methology of having trash as a flag and not a different folder, it
is possible to keep trashed messages in the same view (Outlook strikes them
out).

This is particulary useful because when you use threading. With the current
behaviour, when you delete a message and jump to the next message, the
listview might be resorted because the Date of replies in a thread might be
more recent than that of messages that would (with the thread intact) be
sorted behind it.

Not sure if I explained this properly, but I can make a video recording of
this behaviour when I have my new camera. ;-)

Please note that this isn't IMAP specific though. Keeping threads intact by
flagging messages as trash instead of moving them should help for local
mailboxes as well. Especially mutt and Outlook converts will appreciate a
trash implementation that flags messages, as this is how these clients work
(and it is pretty neat).

But please note new features will have to wait until KDE 3.2, so this won't be
developed soon. Hm, I really should've made an attempt at joining development
much sooner, I've walked around with this itch for far too long! :-)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much