List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Strange behavior with kmail 3.0.0-10
From:       Seth Kurtzberg <seth () cql ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 3:53:42

Hello,

I recently updated my kmail to 3.0.0-10 from the RedHat 7.3 distribution.
(Lot's of excellent improvements.)  Twice I have gotten into a strange state
that was only cleared by rebooting.  I've been using kmail for more than a
year and I very rarely have problems, so I think it is likely that the
problem is related to the new installation, either of kmail or of KDE in
general.

Basically, in this state I am unable to send.  When I send, I see the message
on the frame in the lower left corner saying "one or more messages had send
errors."  (I didn't write down the exact phrase, but that is the gist of it.)

I tried changing the outgoing SMTP server, restarting the network on the
machine, stopping and restarting kmail, none of which appeared to change
anything.  I ran an Ethereal trace and did not see any packets leaving the
machine, not even a connect attempt to the mail server.

Other programs are working correctly (or, to be more precise, there are no
obvious problems).  After rebooting, everything appears normal.  This happens
infrequently, twice in the last week.

Any suggestions?  A known problem?  Should I download newer code?
--
Seth Kurtzberg
MIS