List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: We need a short boilerplate text for KMail for various flyers
From:       Bernhard Reiter <bernhard () intevation ! de>
Date:       2002-07-30 15:59:49

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:16:59PM +0200, Ingo Kl=F6cker wrote:
E.g. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It does not send PGP/MIME conforming messages by default
as a MIME aware MUA that is almost a must to be OpenPGP compatible.

> On Monday 29 July 2002 10:14, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 12:49:19AM +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > > My proposal (draft):
> > > KMail
> > > It features the industries leading OpenPGP integration,
> >
> > This would overdo it, to be honest.
> > The OpenPGP integration is good but
> > still has some weaknesses in my opinion.

> Like what? If I don't know the weaknesses I can't remove them.

Some of them are known (I've written about the one above and the
mimelib problems before).  Some can be found the =C4gypten-Bugtracker.
We probably still habe problems with signed E-Mails with attachements
in some case, because of the bad design (of mimelib) that disassembles and
reassembles the message. We do have problems with the color bars for the
different message states AFAIK, I didn't test that recently.

Any help is of course appreciated.

Last not least the OpenPGP integration of =C4gypten is not tested a lot.
Before =C4gypten that KMail was not eben OpenPGP compatible.
Trouting "industry leading OpenPGP integration" is not wise for
several reasons. Mutt certainly still leads the pack and I hate
overstatements.  :)  Furthermore I haven't compared KMail's OpenPGP
support to Sylpheed's. It well might be superiour because it was
there earlier.

Better call it "good" or "full OpenPGP integration to be save.

	Bernhard