List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMCommands
From:       Carsten Burghardt <cb () magic-shop ! de>
Date:       2002-07-30 5:56:42

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 06:52, Don Sanders wrote:
> > You can't do that because if the user selects an operation (say
> > e.g. forward) you have to complete the messages _before_ you
> > display the readerwin.
>
> (readerwin? you mean composer window right?)

Ssspelling mistake.

> > No user would wait for any progressbar in
> > the right corner if he clicks on the action and nothing happens.
>
> True, good point.
>
> But the composer window is a top level window so it can show a
> statusbar.
>
> ie. possibly a read only composer window could be shown as shown as
> the action was started, this composer would indicate it's in a busy
> state (by using a progress indicator in the status bar or whatever)
> and then when all the messages were retrieved allow the user to
> commence editing.
>
> Really the important thing is to avoid blocking the ui.

I generally support this idea but I'm not sure what the best way is. If you
transfer the messages while the composer is open you need to update the
composer with each message. I would be confused if the content of my
composer-win changes dynamically. And you'll have to answer the bugreports
from the people that "can't type in the compser"....

--
Regards,

Carsten Burghardt