List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem with passphrase entry
From:       Malte Starostik <malte () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-30 3:29:50

On Monday 29 July 2002 22:14, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 29 July 2002 10:19, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 05:43:51PM +0200, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > Signed data should IMO always be QP-encoded to prevent the above
> > > problem.
> >
> > It is a good strategy especially when you have spaces at the end of
> > lines. Today we should be able to rely on 8bit clean MTAs, too.
>
> I wouldn't bet a cent on this.
>
> > Thus it should not necessary.
>
> I strongly doubt that it's not necessary. We will even remove the
> possibility to select 8bit content transport encoding from KMail and
> always use QP. Marc? You didn't commit the corresponding patch yet. ;-)
Well, as I said before, I never had any problems with 8bit CTEs, they only
appeared after the "aegyptifycation". As already stated the problem is IMHO
not using 8bit in general, but using 8bit in a MIME part that is child of a
mail marked as 7bit. i.e.

Main message - CTE: 7bit
	signed data - CTE: 8bit
	signature - CTE: 7bit

I bet once this is changed to

Main message - CTE: 8bit
	signed data: CTE: 8bit
	signature - CTE: 7bit

the problem goes away, since some MTAs will honour the 8bit in the mail's
header but not give a damn about 8bit-cleanness if the mail header states
it's 7bit (MTAs won't look into child MIME part headers...).
How should a child part of a 7bit part guarantee 8bit-cleanness?

-Malte