List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail inserted one blank line too much - two "headers"
From:       "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-05-28 22:02:53

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 18:13 CET Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 May 2002 18:04 CET Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> > I just checked my mail and found this one in my Inbox; seems like KMail
> > inserted one line break too much at the beginning of this mail and thus
> > created two "headers". Looks nice :) Shall I file a bug?
>
>[...]
> (a) As you might have noticed, I replaced every "@" with "(at)".
> (b) KMail processed this Mail all right in the beginning - it filtered it
> through SpamAssassin and the header X-Spam-Status was added. Hmmm...
> maybe it's even a bug in SpamAssassin. Got to check this when I'm back
> home.

Ok, that's what I found out:

SpamAssassin automagically adds the mbox "From ..." line iff you don't
specify '-F 0'. I think KMail adds this line on his own in mboxes and in
maildirs it's even wrong, even though it seems like KMail ignores it in the
pipe filter output (correct me if I'm wrong). The message in question went
to this ML which I've got it in a maildir folder. Every file except the one
with the questionable mail starts with a line "From ..." (obviously added
by SpamAssassin).

Ok, now there comes this mail which's From spans two lines:
| From: Don Sanders <sanders@kde.org>(by way of Don Sanders\
|        <sanders@kde.org>)
(BTW: who put the backslash there?)
SpamAssassin creates the following (broken) lines:
| From Don Sanders <sanders@kde.org>(by way of Don Sanders\
|       <sanders@kde.org>)  Tue May 28 23:37:52 2002

And there we go: KMail doesn't recognize the folded "From " line, interprets
the whole stuff as the body and adds it's "Status" headers above. (Maybe it
should remove any added, especially broken "From ..." lines in pipe filter
output.)

I _think_ this should read
| -The action is "<pipe through> spamassassin -P"
| +The action is "<pipe through> spamassassin -P -F 0"
on [1]... oh, we've got a "Tools" page now :o) If you use spamd/spamc (which
I do), you've got to start spam_d_ with that option.

All just my imagination
Malte

P.S.: I think the integration of SpamAssassin in KMail is not only mentioned
on that page. I'll have a look at the SpamAssassin docs and tell Craig if I
find it there and it's really the culprit. Maybe I should tell him about
the broken "From ..." line, too :o)

[1]http://kmail.kde.org/tools.html