List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kdenetwork/kmail
From:       Carsten Burghardt <cb () magic-shop ! de>
Date:       2002-04-30 17:10:52

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 12:42, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2002 07:46, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 April 2002 05:43, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > > A popup and a dialog box after a popup? I'd have to kick my own butt
> > > after implementing that ;)
> > > I like Ingo's proposition a lot, is anyone against it? Please speak up
> > > now, and not after I commit a fix. Options are: a) revert it, removing
> > > the dialog, b) implementing the popup the way Ingo suggested.
> >
> > I'm using kmail at work and I'm sure that behaviour b) would slow me
> > down.
>
> <rant>
> Sorry, but this is BS. Just hold the shift or ctrl key while dragging and
> you get the old behaviour back. Maybe that takes a bit of getting used to,
> but that's IT.

Well, it's definitely one step more ;-)

> I'm _tired_ of everytime someone speaking up against even the slightest
> change in KMail behaviour. We will _not_ add backwards compat hacks for
> every mouse press event.

That's not the point. It's good to be innovative but not at any cost. Why do
you think all other MUA's out there handle it more or less the same way?
Because they're not innovative? No, because it's user-friendly, at least in
my eyes. And even it it wouldn't be user-friendly, the user is _used_ to
that. Why should I change a behaviour that I know and that works?

> I vote for (b), since it's non-intrusive and respects the style guide. The
> latter is a pretty strong argument, mind, even if KMail wasn't particularly
> good at following it in the past...

The style guide for file-operations? That's not the same, because kmail is
_not_ konqueror.

--
Carsten Burghardt
email: cb@magic-shop.de