List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Help with IMAP Support?
From:       Frans de Wet <kde3 () prometheus ! de-Wet ! com>
Date:       2002-03-30 6:32:31

Hi there,

I was wondering if you guys need some help with implementing IMAP support a
little more elborately.  I am using it at present and I have a few questions
... mostly because I do not want to duplicate work to any extent.  I plan on
playing around a little with the code till I have something I can use the way
I want ... but I thought the stuff i do may be of interest to some of you out
there.

Please take note that I am busy learning what IMAP is all about and some of my
questions are real dumb (probably) ;-)

1.  Is there an architectural problem with implementing the creation of
subfolders on SOME IMAP servers?  I have used sylpheed (I think) and created
folders containing subfolders.  The parent folders cannot contain any data
(because of limitations on the imap server I am using (WU), but through
sylpheed you can add a forward slash at the end of the folder name you create
to actually create a parent folder that can only contain subfolders.  Can I
do this in KMail (with KDE 3) ... if so, how ;-)  I have not found it yet ...
if it is not there I plan to implement it.

2.  Is it feasible to have no local folders?  Let me tell you why ... I want
no email to be locally on any machine anywhere.  Not my sent, deleted or any
other items.  I want all of it to reside on the imap server.  I want to also
be able to set filters to run on my IMAP inbox (and perhaps other POP
accounts) when email arrives that actually filters it to IMAP folders (these
filters will of course only run while KMail is running.  This way I will be
able to really go ANYWHERE and have all my email there.  Perhaps, since I am
too new to IMAP, I just do not know how to do it yet ... if there is a way
already please let me know.  If this is not available now I plan to try and
make it so.

3.  From what I read earlier subscriptions are quite important to people.  Is
there some definitive TO-DO list somewhere concerning IMAP that I can look
at?  I would like to see what has to be done so I can perhaps implement it
along the way.

If any or all of this is something someone else is already doing ... let me
know ... I would not want to take away someone else's fun :-D

If any of these items are something people have been screaming for, hehe, let
me know too.  I am not a miracle worker, and I have a steep learning curve
ahead, but I really want some of these features (if they do not exist), and I
plan to make them happen. It might just go slow at first.

Awaiting inspiration,
Frans de Wet

P.S.  On another note ... I want to be able to use LDAP for my address book.
Now, I know this hits on many other things ... but perhaps someone has some
ideas on how I can make this happen.  You see, I want to remove my tie to a
single machine.