List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Detecting omitted attachments
From:       Chris Kuhi <kdelists () kuhi ! net>
Date:       2002-02-28 22:31:50

On Thursday 28 February 2002 23:06, Dave Corrie wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2002 9:29 pm, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Well, I attach pictures, patches, diffs, etc. Almost never files
> > :)
>
> You and me both.
>
> My (personal) viewpoint is that I'd like to stop referring to
> absent attachments at the expense of triggering false positives.
> For me, having to click an extra button to dismiss a warning when a
> false positive match occurs beats the hassle of forgetting to
> attach something. I quite understand that for many people this is
> not the case.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to judge is whether it would be useful
> enough to warrant inclusion or whether it's something suited only
> to me.

Make it more generalized.  Integrate it into the Filters by adding a
couple of more possible tests: e.g. a boolean for presence/absence of
attachments, another field for the names, mime-types, whatever of
attachments. Then add an action for popping up warnings which are
configurable to offer a few choices like return to compose window,
and then include a few preconfigured heuristics specialized to your
idea, and which are *optional* and extendable.

This way, anyone who wants the same functionality as you, can just
turn it on, and anyone who wants something similar functionality can
adjust it, and the rest can ignore it.  As a bonus it will extend the
functionality of the filters which I'm sure everyone can appreciate.

regards,
--
Chris Kuhi
Email: chris@kuhi.net