List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: new format of mail folder in KDE3/KMail
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-02-26 13:44:52

On Thursday 21 February 2002 23:43, Alan Chandler wrote:
|   On Thursday 21 Feb 2002 5:06 pm, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > On Thursday 21 February 2002 16:59, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
|   > |   Why do you want to store mails in a database ?
|   >
|   > Faster access, more easy handling.
|   > Besides, if I have 1000 mails from Mr. John Smith <john@smith.com> - I
|   > can store in database only unique ID of Mr. John Smith , for every mail
|   > from him, and therefor reduce the size of a complete mail database.
|
|   But you forget that in a database you still need a foreign key to access
|   john@smith.com so you don't save much.

4 bytes comparing with 20-50 bytes?
I certanly want to have a list of ALL senders to the list - but it's it's
another task and another question.

Of course you need to store all complete mail addresses in separate table,
like:

179 John Smith <jsmith@mit.edu>
180 Mary <mymary@yahoo.com>

|   Personally, it would seem the best way would be to have a file partition
| for the mails to use ReiserFS with tail packing and Maildir (after all if
| you read the rationale for ReiserFS it is precisely for this sort of "use a
| file" instead of a database record)

Indeed, there were some White Papers out there saying that differences
between modern file systems and modern database formats are disappearing.
They are serving similar tasks - data storage, after-crash recovery, data
access, modifications/locking, etc.
As I am not an expert neither in File Systems nor in Databases, I have no
idea how far it progressed since I was studing Computer Science in University.
Would be interesting to know, though.

Separate question I have: is it possible to store all mails in Maildir zip'ed
(bzip'ed), so long text messages will not eat too much space?
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)