List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Domino support status
From:       "Mauro DePascale" <mauro.depascale () marconi ! com>
Date:       2002-02-12 11:04:46

> We have support for multiple accounts. One user can have several POP3 and
> several IMAP accounts.
> Couldn't this be the save to notes accounts, just that it's actually the
same
> account with a different Note ID?

Often different Notes users are configured on different Domino servers, so
the
account can't be the same. Anyway the real problem is that Notes stores
lots of
configuration and environment infos into a notes.ini file stored somewhere
into
the user's path.
To be able to switch the user, the KMail application must be able to parse
that
file finding many variables and changing their values. Altougth possible, I
see
it not so feasible into the first step implementation.

> It is already possible to specify the transport directely for every mail,
use
> the sticky option to remember the last used transport, bind it to an
identity
> or specify it with a filter rule. Altogether this is already fairly
> complicated for the average user.

Ok, this is my fault. I'll look there then.

> One user is also frequently requesting to bind it to the provider used in
> kppp. Maybe it could combined with something like this, or would it also
> possible to keep this domain descriptor inside the notes transport?

I think it will be possible to specify into the transport to use Notes
for a given set of domains only, in order to let KMail using something else
(a
default one) for the others. But I'll investigate better this option when
I'll
start transport details.

> If this fits your needs, then do it this way. I'm quite sure, that folder
> support is much more work. On the other hand I don't know, how much this
> downloading attempt fits the needs of the average notes user and you
won't be
> able to reuse really many of it for implementing folders.

Well, at the moment I'll be happy just to setup the system and improve my
KDE
knowledge. Then if there will be interest into the Domino support I'll be
happy
to add folders as well (but I'll really need help for doing that).

> It should probably be dependant on your kioslave, i. e. it should look if
the
> notes:// protocol exists.

Right! I'll do it that way.

Regards,