List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: $%^#%&^@%&@%
From:       Rob Walker <rob () myinternetplace ! net>
Date:       2002-02-03 15:41:58

On Sunday 03 February 2002 02:40, Volker Augustin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> somehow nobody seems to have noticed my last mail. Why not
> simply *ignore* filters with a non-existent target folder? The user
> will realize, that something is wrong since mails he thinks should
> be filtered still arrive in his inbox. Thus he will eventually go back
> to the filters dialog an check - or not if it was intentionally.

I saw your email, but didn't like the fix.  I couldn't put my finger on what I
didn't like about it, so I didn't respond.  I don't like ignoring the
filters, I think it has the potential for confusion.  A user could think that
their filter was broken and re-create it.  After it still didn't work, they
would re-create it, not knowing why it wasn't working.  I don't like silent
filters.

> There could also be an action "Verify all filters for validity" that
> checks whether there are filters, that cannot be used as they are
> at the moment. This action could then popup a dialog showing the
> relevant filters with information about what is wrong and options to
> modifiy or to leave them as they are.

But then the user would have to know to validate the filters.  Why not
validate filters automatically upon creation?  Is there any reason to allow
an invalid filter?

> This action should probably automatically be run on startup - without
> the dialog of course - to determine, which filters should be applied by
> KMail. There could even be some visual indicator (red) to show that
> there are invalid filters at the moment.

If it is good to run this on kmail startup, why not run it on filter creation?
Any invalid filter would be disabled.

rob