List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    smtp sending mails
From:       Kulpreet Singh <singhk () cs ! tcd ! ie>
Date:       2002-02-01 19:40:10

Hello !

I have been troubled by Kmail for quite some time. It behaves in the
most erratic manner when it comes to sending emails.

I absolutely love KDE and thus want to use KMail, as it integerates well
into the other application. Besides all KDE apps seem to work so
smoothly and smartly.

Anyway. The problem is like this -

When I send an email, by clicking on the 'up arrow' icon on the
composer, I get the dialog box saying it is trying to send email, but
then I get a response on yet another bigger dialog box saying

Sending failed:
a SMTP error occured.
Command: DATA
Response: 250 <singhk@cs.tcd.ie>... Recipient ok

The message will stay .....

I have tried various permutations of configurations, in terms of, send
later, etc.

I am using an SMTP server, being managed by the department, and IMAP to
read email. It shouldn't be a problem with the server as it behaves so
perfectly with any  other email client I pick. Besides another friend is
able to use KMail perfectly.

I have upgraded to KDE 2.2.2, just in case that would solve the problem
.Still no luck.

Another problem is that I cannot seem to be able to POP emails from a
POP server. It all worked perfectly for a week, about 2 months ago. Then
one day the POP server had problems and since then, it just wont POP. It
says it is having problems with the command 'open'.

I am quite lost as I so want to use KMail. I have seen it work so
beautifuly. And I really do not want to get involved in the code right now.

I would love it if people have any clues about what it is doing.

Thanks a lot for the patience

Kulpreet