List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail under Solaris and Linux
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-31 22:00:08

On Thursday 31 January 2002 03:49 am, Michael Häckel wrote:
> The only way I see to solve this well is to introduce a compatibility mode
> that doesn't use any index files at all and therefore has lower performance
> but works. This should finally also make the mutt users happy, that
> complain about bad interoperability between KMail and mutt when they use
> the same folders or the users that absolutely want to use procmail with
> KMail.

Can't we add a byte-order indicator at the start of the index file? Then, when
the byte order doesn't match we can use a slower compatibility function that
fixes the byte order. In 99.9% of the cases this will not be needed but when
it is needed it wil be used automagically and hassle free.

I can make a patch for it if you like the idea.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com