List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Feature request?
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-27 23:19:13

On Sunday 27 January 2002 21:37, Michael Häckel wrote:
> On Sunday 27 January 2002 21:22, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > It would be nice, if KMail could pass the decoded attachement to
> > KOrganizer, if a mail comes in, which has an iCalendar attachement.
> > Perhaps this could be implemented in a more generic way by using
> > some kind of plugin interface or at least configuration options
> > instead of hardcoding iCalendar and KOrganizer. Passing all
> > incoming mails through a filter script is probably really not the
> > optimal solution.
>
> Especially as soon as we finally support PGP/MIME or S/MIME, your
> script will have some trouble with decrypting :-)

Right :-)

> What is actually the problem with simply opening KOrganizer with the
> attachment by left clicking on it? This just currently opens
> Korganizer with only this single appointment instead that it adds it
> the the present calendar.

Of course we could add an option to import iCalendar attachements by
calling KOrganizer itself, but I think it is better to do it indirectly
by putting the data into a directory and let KOrganizer read from
there. So you don't need a running KOrganizer instance.

> Shall this really go automatically even for not yet seen mails?

Yes, KOrganizer has an own incoming dialog, which let's the user
select, which events should really go into his calendar. In the future
I would like to add an optional way to automatically import into the
calendar for securely authenticated senders etc.

> We could add somewhere a configurable list that contains for every
> mime type an application and the corresponding parameters to start,
> when a mail with a certain attachment comes in. But this must be done
> in a save way since opening/executing of attachments can be
> dangerous. If for example someone sends you a DOS mail with 500
> appointments in it, it shouldn't automatically confuse your calendar.

Yes, we have to be careful with this feature. That's the reason why at
the moment nothing is automatically put in the real calendar.