List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Feature request?
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <ingo.kloecker () epost ! de>
Date:       2002-01-16 23:42:18

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 19:24, JW wrote:

> >> Because all of my & my co-workers accounts are pop3 accounts, imap
> >> is not an option.
> >
> >Well, if this is a feature you want for everybody, why not switch
> > all accounts to imap.
>
> Because some of our accounts are not under our control. And anyway,
> we'd simply like to continue doing what we have been doing for years
> - leaving the mail on our servers for x number of days. I know that
> it's a fairly common, almost standard feature in pop3 mail clients

I don't think that this is a common feature.

> and most people I know/work with (not just in my company) also use
> this feature. The problem with "don't delete" is, as far as I can
> see, it _never_ deletes. I don't want years worth of email piling up
> on the servers and certainly going over quota.
>
> Also, I'm sitting here looking at the imap-account setup menu and I
> don't see a "delete after x number of days" either. "Automatically
> expunge deleted messages" isn't good enough because many of emails
> (especially pertaining to mailing lists and spam) I never read or
> delete by hand.

Some IMAP servers support filtering. Maybe it's possible to filter by
the age of a message, i.e. "delete each message which is older than x
days".

> It simply does not appear to me that imap would be the solution even
> if I _could_ switch over to it.

O.k., so please submit a feature request for this feature via
bugs.kde.org. But don't hold your breath until this feature is
implemented. That's not the way free software development works. In
free software development the _developers_ and not the feature
requesting users decide which feature they want to implement next. If
you want some feature to be implemented ASAP you'll have to pay someone
for implementing it. That's why the german government pays the Aegypten
team to implement S/MIME and LDAP support for KMail.

> >In what sense "not secure"? AFAIK you can encrypt transmission.
> > However, I might be wrong :-)).
>
> I remember one day discussing the insecurity of pop3 and the possible
> use of imap as a replacement, and some security expert (I belive it
> may have been on the postfix mailing list, not sure) pointed out some
> flaw in imap. Unfortunately I don't remember what the flaw was. IIRC
> it rendered the encrypted transmission part as good as useless.

I don't know of any security problems with IMAP. In the beginning of
IMAP there were indeed may problems. But since some years all problems
have been solved.

Regards,
Ingo