List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Confusion over 'you wrote'/'fred wrote'
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <haeckel () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-29 10:45:33

On Saturday 29 December 2001 11:33, Samuel Penn wrote:

> So, is it still possible to reply to the author rather than the list?
> I notice that both options (reply, and reply list) reply to the list
> when selected from the menu. The only way to reply to the author, is
> to reply to all, and delete the mailing list from the "To" field.

This depends on the mailing list software. If there is a Reply-To header,
KMail replies to the address found there.

> This doesn't particularly bother me (it's something I do rarely, and
> as long as it's possible, I don't mind it being slightly fiddly).
>
> Maybe what's needed is a "reply to author" option. I can see this
> getting confusing for users though, especially since the default
> option should change depending on whether it's a mailing list or
> personal folder. Even if there's two seperate buttons, users will
> just hit the wrong one half the time.

Only the string for the reply phrase changes depending on if it's a mailing
list or not. The address where a normal reply goes to doesn't depend on that.

Even in private mails the reply should go to the address found in the Reply-To
header if such a header is present, instead of the From header.

Regards,
Michael Häckel