List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail and Debian packages
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-23 2:03:05

wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 November 2001 23:03, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > It might be nice to modify that for packaged
> > > versions, particularly when stable versions of
> > > distributions can have a long life cycle (like
> > > Debian, for example :-) ).
> >
> > As soon as KDE 3.0 will be out, users that try to
> > report a bug in KDE 2.2 will be notified, that they
> > should upgrade, before reporting problems.  That is not
> > the problem here.
>
> It would also handle cases like the one you are
> complaining about where distribution-specific problems
> create support load for KDE.

You mean add distribution version specific information to
mail generated by the bug report dialog? That's already
supported as indicated by the 'Installed from' line in bug
reports.

Someone (ie Michael) still has to work out what is going
wrong, which tends to be pretty time consuming in these
situations where the problem is specific to a certain
version of a package from a specific distribution.

The fact of the matter is that Debian has bundled
incompatible versions of packages together and as a result
of this Michael has had to do the work of supporting
confused debian users.

That's not right, and other distributions are guilty of
doing the same thing.

I have no problem with auto-closing bug reports or dropping
support for distribution packages, (that is only supporting
users who have a cvs compile less than two weeks old). Or
taking some other measure to improve the quality of bug
reports submitted.

Don.