List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [Aegypten] plan: LDAP support via new kioslave!
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-01 18:51:11

On Thursday 01 November 2001 18:38, George Staikos wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2001 12:21, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > > Marko Samastur and I came up with something here a while ago. The idea
> > > was basically to have the TCPSlaveBase make the TCP socket connection,
> > > and pipe the socket through to a unix domain socket. The OpenLDAP
> > > client lib has some (underdocumented, but supported) capabilities to
> > > use a domain socket instead of a TCP socket. Don't know if Marko got
> > > anywhere with that one though...
> >
> > this sound very good, by doing so KDE would gain all the benefits from
> > the TCPSlaveBase while still being able to use OpenLDAP.
> >
> > IMHO it would be nice to have this undocumented feature made a
> > documented one - to make sure it will be there in future versions of
> > OpenLDAP as well.
>
>    Do you guys have any idea why on earth they require this to be done via
> a socket?  This seems just downright nutty to me.   It might even be a
> good idea to write a patch for OpenLDAP to allow the user to specify the
> socket to use and bypass builtin SSL support.

If I understood Jan correctly that would be possible by using this
                                   ^^^^^
undocumented feature of OpenLDAP's because this one _seems_ to be made
for using a /domain/ socket.
Of course relying on an undocumented feature is not perfect but perhaps
the feature's status could be changed...

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>

   BugCops  ***  Making Free Software Better  ***  http://bugcops.org